Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Interviewed UK myspace friend about universal health care

Just today, I messaged a UK myspace musician friend asking about the NHS and his feelings about the necessity for universal access to medical care for citizens of his country. He obliged and I'm very happy to share. My questions weren't great, but I greatly appreciated him taking the time to answer them.

He copied my questions just above his answers:

Jeremy!
Happy to oblige. Im not particularly right or left wing, so heres ny views for what they are worth:


1. Can you tell me, (i'll pass it on) how you feel about your health care system? pros & cons?


Ok its not bad. It used to be a lot lot better, tho, but now we have so many illegal immigrants in the country or legal ones from Europe who dont pay taxes as they are unemployed, theres not enough contributions going into it. So in recent years treatments and service has fallen. However, when your ill, get injured, suffer with something....its great not having to worry about paying for treatment.



2. Also, could you explain how it feels to know that your country takes care of everyone(whether or not they have money), when it comes to medical needs?


I think I feel proud of our country for it. However, illegal immigrants shouldnt get treated and I dont think immigrants from other countries who have paid less than a years taxes into our fund should get free treatment....



3. Do you feel Universal Health Care for everyone is necessary for the well-being of the country overall??


Yes



4. Do you have any suggestions on how to sell the idea of an NHS in the US?


Nope....
(end of his reply)
-------------------------
I can see where illegal immigration would take a toll on the money.....but.....Universal Health Care(single payer) or at the very least this public option(not free) they're talking about would be one step closer by giving everyone access to buying health insurance and competing to pressure private insurance(less care/more profit) companies to lower their prices. We already have socialist programs, and for us to be scared of becoming nazis or commies over taking care of each other's medical issues is ridiculous. We have public schools, SOCIAL security, medicare, unemployment benefits, ....you name it.....it could be called socialist. I could argue that churches & their collection plate are socialist. I could argue that our tax system is socialist. If we didn't have the tax system in place, we'd be in trouble. We're interdependent.......no matter what the "haves" tell us, we need each other. They use the "S" word to distract and shut down the debate. We have to decide whether we're all in the same boat or whether we believe some people should die because we weren't fortunate enough to be born rich or in a family that has access to insurance. If we keep the "pick yourself up by your own bootstraps" attitude, our country will stay divided and FALL. Sometimes we have to pick each other up.............we need either a public option or the better(but most difficult) idea, universal health care. A public option would help a lot.....but the only reason people feel safer with it, is because its not the full universal health care. If it were full universal, the politicans who are making money for campaigns from Health Insurance companies, they'd throw such a fit.......and fill people with so much MISINFORMATION, it would be hell. So, it may take a while, maybe even quite a few years.....who knows? It will happen...because the ethic of taking care of our neighbors is in many religious traditions and with each generation, the young will see hypocrisy and inconsitency and perfect this union....................................hopefully.

I may be back with more questions and answers from the same UK fellow.

PS - watch the movie "Sicko"! I can't say it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment